100+ eLearning courses created for international NGOs at no cost… Global Giveback 2013 is now open, get involved
Through the Global Giveback, highly skilled learning professionals volunteer their highest talent, creativity and experience to support global development non-profit organizations. In the first four Global Giveback events, volunteer instructional designers and eLearning developers have created over 100 eLearning courses for LINGOs and its 75 international NGO member agencies.
All international NGOs provide training
“International NGOs (non-governmental organizations) that provide training for their global staff or to an audience with access to the internet should get involved,” said LINGOs Executive Director, Eric Berg. The Global Giveback allows NGOs to leverage their existing content, dramatically expanding the audience to their global staff and implementing partners. Last year alone, LINGOs worked with over 60 volunteers to create courses available not only the global staff of our 75+ international member agencies, but they will also be available free to anyone working to improve people’s lives in the developing world.
3 Reasons to get involved
2013 Global Giveback marks the fifth time LINGOs and the eLearning Guild have organized a vehicle through which learning professionals have donated their expertise and time to create eLearning resources for the global community. In years’ past, the resource was limited to agencies that are already members of LINGOs (Learning in NGOs), a not-for-profit consortium of humanitarian relief and international development agencies. This year marks the first time that Global Giveback is open to all non-profits working in the international development sector.
NEW in the 2013 Global Giveback
- Open to any not-for-profit organization working to improve people’s lives in the developing world
- Includes all learning formats: eLearning, Face-to-Face, Blended Learning modalities
- Optional eLearning competition: Non-profit agencies may enter eLearning developed by pro-bono volunteers in 2013.
Learning professionals want to make a difference in the world
Volunteering in the Global Giveback provides a unique opportunity for learning professionals to make a difference in the world. Many volunteers have already signed up in the Global Giveback group on LinkedIn and are eager to get started.
eLearning developer Amanda Warner, who participated in the first three Global Givebacks, winning twice with courses created for the public for Acción and FHI 360, notes “It’s so motivating to see the course in action,” said Warner, who estimates she spent between 180 and 210 hours developing Acción’s winning course “Build, Manage and Improve Credit” which is publically available.
“It was great to play with different ideas, and work on a totally different type of content from my day job,” she said. Warner took reams of ACCION’s existing face-to-face course materials, spread sheets, word documents, published guides and other resources and developed a proposal for an engaging, interactive simulation.
Your agency can get involved
It’s easy! You can get involved through the Global Giveback Group on LinkedIn or through your own network. Connect and interview those with interests, skills, timing, and approach to the work that best match your needs.
Projects can include: design and/or development of learning and training resources to be deployed in a variety of ways, including face to face, blended, and self-paced eLearning.
How to get started:
- Identify the course material you want to adapt into a new format of learning
- Join the Global Giveback Group on LinkedIn
- Post your request for a volunteer Be sure to include
- Your agency name
- Course Topic
- Scope of Work (describe what the volunteer will develop, for what audience, with whom the volunteer will work, the resources s/he will have to work with, ie pre-approved content, subject matter experts whom s/he can consult during the project, etc)
- Timeline(when you will be ready to start, your target date for completion and launch of your resource)
- That there is an Identified staff-member who will work with the volunteer
- Respond to all volunteers who indicate interest. Interview those whose skills match your needs, and keep others apprised of your plans so they can work with another project if your needs and timing don’t match their skills and time-frame.
Global Giveback organizers do not review or manage relationships between agencies and volunteers. Each party should research each other and interact in professionally, clearly defining success for the interaction before agreeing to collaborate.
An optional part of the Global Giveback is a competition among eLearning courses. Participation is not required, but may be motivating to some volunteers.
Not-for-profit development agencies may enter any eLearning course created on a volunteer (pro-bono) basis for any non-profit working globally to improve people’s lives in the developing world in 2013 can be entered in the eLearning Global Giveback competition.
Judges will evaluate courses submitted by non-profit global development agencies in two categories based on whether they were developed by individual developers or corporate teams, on ten criteria:
- Meets stated learning objectives
- Ease of use for the learner
- Graphical content
- Ease of update (for the non-profit sponsor)
- Holds the learner’s interest
- Ease of working with the developer (rated by the non-profit agency)
- Potential impact of the course (assessed by the non-profit agency based on topic and potential audience)
Volunteer Developers and International Non Profit agencies may use the Global Giveback Group on LinkedIn as a means of finding each other. However, any international non-profit working with a non-staff volunteer on a pro-bono basis may submit courses created in 2013 for competition. Submissions must be received by 5:00PM EST on Jan 10, 2014. Submission instructions will be posted in the second half of 2013.
Recognition & awards will be announced at the eLearning Guild’s Learning Solutions 2014 conference in Orlando, FL.
Learn More: http://bit.ly/LINGOsGG
Read about past Global Giveback events
- Global Giveback 3 Results
- 3 Ways to Identify Inspiring Ideas from Global Giveback 3
- Coaching for Results and Consumer Protection & Financial Education in Microfinance Courses Win in 2nd eLearning Global Giveback Competition
- 3 Inspiring Ideas from Global Giveback 2