In the last Learning Tools Blog post, I presented statistics illustrating the rapid pace at which LINGOs member organizations have adopted Elluminate Live for on-line synchronous training. One of the ways LINGOs supports agencies as they adopt synchronous on-line learning, is through our work with the Elluminate company to identify a variety of learning resources that enhance the capacity of staff who attend and lead on-line synchronous training.
These learning resources fall into the following general categories:
Elluminate Live! Participants can visit the Elluminate Support Site
- to complete an on-line orientation program
- to view the recorded Elluminate Participant training webinar
- to access quick reference guides and tools
- to check their system configuration compatibility for the Elluminate product.
Elluminate Moderators can
- Participate in four different live webinars that Elluminate schedules on a regular basis to learn how to use the many features of Elluminate Live!
- View recorded videos (averaging 4-10 minutes each) that instruct moderators on how to use the most common features of Elluminate Live!
- Visit the Elluminate Support Ste to access resources, tools and technical information to support Elluminate Moderators
On-Line Curriculum Designers and On-Line Facilititors
· Can attend LINGOs’ On-line Virtual Mastery Series which introduces best practices for designing and facilitating courses in the on-line synchronous environment.
Elluminate Troubleshooting is another area in which moderators will inevitably need to develop skills. As a frequent moderator of Elluminate sessions, many times I have found myself In the position where a participant is unable to fully participate in an event due to problems with bandwidth, audio, Java plug-ins, systems compatibility and/or firewalls. To address these challenges, Elluminate moderators need to develop skills to identify and address some of the most common problems encountered when when managing on-line events.
Over the next six months, LINGOs and Elluminate are collaborating closely to develop troubleshooting resources that help moderators analyze and resolve these challenges. As one of the first steps in this process, LINGOs will host a webinar on June 12, 2008, entitled Are You a Skilled Elluminate TroubleShooter? (for details on this event click here) This webinar is highly recommended to all Elluminate Moderators, as it will include a number of practical tips that can be used immediately.
In addition to the upcoming webinar, Elluminate has documented solutions to the most frequently occurring technical problems on their Help Desk Website and LINGOs is documenting the most useful troubleshooting tips on its Elluminate Workspace.
UPCOMING OUTSTART TRAINER WEBCAST
LINGOs’ partner, Outstart, is hosting a Live Webcast: Rapidly Developing e-Courses with Impact, Using OutStart Trainer. The Trainer authoring tool provides the capacity to develop rich learning content without programming; with the potential to easily add Flash, audio, video or streaming media and more.