Posted by Marian Abernathy
The end of one calendar year and start of a new is often time for reflection. 2010 has been an active year for LINGOs. To accommodate the needs of our growing membership and evolving needs of our existing members, last summer our board of directors approved a new membership structure. We now have two categories of membership:
- International NGOs working in three or more developing countries with a primary mission of international development, relief, conservation and/or social justice, and
- Supporting Member including foundations and associations that support this work, or NGOs with similar missions that work in fewer than 3 developing countries. Supporting Members have a customized package of benefits and membership is subject to board approval.
In addition, we’ve added a new Enterprise Membership to better meet the needs of our largest member agencies who work in a confederation. The Enterprise level makes sense for organizations that have multiple memberships.
We have a number of new courses in the catalog, including:
- Project Management courses geared toward the Prince 2 Certification
- Food Security courses in three languages from FAO
- Multilingual management, human resources, financial management courses from Cegos
- NGO-developed courses shared by members and other NGOs, including topics on
- Office ergonomics
- Several conservation topics
- Programming mobile devices for health surveys
- And lots more coming from the Global Giveback Competitions
We also added the following courses, tools and resources to our member benefits this year:
- a 2-part virtual class on coaching skills from Coaching out of the Box ®
- FeedbackToGo – which provides real-time, 360-degree feedback on leadership and team development competencies that are behaviorally prescribed
- Quicklessons – an online course authoring tool that permits collaboration among multiple developers
- iMindmap –an organic brain-friendly thinking tool that can be used for brainstorming, project planning, course-mapping
- SCORM Dispatch which permits member agencies who wish to deploy an LMS other than IntraLearn LMS that comes with your LINGOs membership, yet still have access to the courses in the LINGOs catalog
- Implementing Partner Portal Option providing members the resources of the LINGOs courses as an element of their capacity building for their developing country, not-for-profit, NGO implementing partners.
LINGOs is growing and members are taking an active role in leading the community in our LinkedIn Group, in person at the member meeting (2011 is in Seattle, Washington!), and through the new and exciting “Virtual Coffee Breaks/Happy Hours.” Stay up-to-date with news and events by subscribing to LINGOs announcements, the LINGOs Blog, and the LinkedIn Group.
We’ve also taken on the implementation of three project management initiatives (one in southern Africa, another in Haiti, and a third regional project in Latin America). As every single LINGOs member agency manages projects, we are confident that this work will benefit LINGOs member agencies in manners big and small, not the least of which will be the addition of additional capacity at LINGOs (in managing the projects and the LMS) and translation of project management resources in multiple languages.
We are very pleased to offer 2011 membership without an increase in dues. For those of you in decision-making roles, please consider whether your organization is presently a member at the most appropriate level. We’d be happy to talk with you about how we can best serve your organization’s needs.
And finally, a request: we continue to strive toward our vision that anyone who works in international development, relief, conservation and social justice has access to world-class learning at little or no cost. We seek your input in our annual member satisfaction survey to better identify your learning-related needs, how well we met them this past year, and what you’d ideally like to see in the future in your LINGOs membership. Please complete our annual member satisfaction survey before the end of this calendar year. To launch the survey, please click here or on: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LINGOs2010MemberSatisfaction
We hope to see you at our upcoming Quarterly Update webinar on Thursday, December 16 from 11am – noon Eastern time. In addition to having a bit of fun over Elluminate Live!, we’ll share with you the latest news on:
- New Courses (there are lots!)
- 3rd quarter data on learning
- eLearning Global Giveback
- Report from the Language Task Force
- Report from our Curriculum Project Interns
- Give an update on the new Project Management Projects and some of the resources they bring to LINGOs members
- The virtual coffee breaks (the refreshments are the least of it!)
Please accept our best wishes for a new year filled with learning and professional development for you and your staff; and a healthier, more peaceful and just world for all.
Eric, Marian, Mike, Robb, Ana Raquel, Joey, Roger, Tyler, and Martha